Wintergirls

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Viking Juvenile (March 19, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 067001110X
  • ISBN-13: 978-0670011100
  • Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.7 x 1.4 inches
  • Get it on Amazon here

“We held hands when we walked down the gingerbread path into the forest, blood dripping from our fingers. We danced with witches and kissed monsters. We turned us in to wintergirls, and when she tried to leave, I pulled her back into the snow because I was afraid to be alone.” WINTERGIRLS, page 99



This book brought a lot of controversy. It was banned from several schools by concerned parents/educators but now that I've read it for myself, I see how it could be helpful for girls like Lia and Cassie, rather than harmful. (Not that I thought it was harmful to begin with) WINTERGIRLS allows the reader to explore dark thoughts and fears from a safe corner in her own bedroom. You feel what Lia feels and you understand why she does what she does. I even looked at my pizza differently last night, but I still ate three slices. For girls (or boys) who are in similar situation as Lia, this book might just be the sort of awakening they desire to find the help they need. Or, it could just be a source of great entertainment, like it was for me.

It's beautiful, inside and out. The hardcover is gorgeous (and I do recommend you get it in hardcover, it's one of those). The metaphors that Anderson uses are so vivid and strong, you can't help but read passages like the above over and over. I highly recommend this book to any and everyone; young, old, male, female. Doesn't matter. It's one of those that shouldn't be missed.

3 comments:

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I have this. Won it a few months back. Will read it eventually. :)

Tabitha Bird said...

Gosh, I love that cover! Wow. I would buy it for that and then you read what is is about... great. I will have to add this too the list.

Lacey J Edwards said...

I saw it at B&N and almost bought it just for the cover too lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...